Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jan 2010 Ops Session

Had our bi-monthly Ops Session with the largest crowd yet, 19. We ran 51 trains with a minimal number of mechanical problems. Cleaning wheels on the locos needs to be done every 6 months.

Right after I got everything restaged, I started on some rework on the WSS/HPT&D island. (See related post).

I think the high for the day was 33. Around Christmas it was obvious that it would be cold and there needed to be heat in the Dispatcher's Office. We had a 20,000 BTU heater that was used in the basement and I thought it would be sufficient. Because the ceiling was open to the 2nd floor, all the heat just went straight up.

I had just one week to get a ceiling in the office. So, after some insulation I pondered what I could put up quickly and by myself. The solution was to use the 3/16" primed masonite like was used on the skyboards in the layout room.

After it was in, there was still some cold coming up thru the floor, so I added a solid OSB floor to insulate it. Some carpet later should make it even more comfortable.

The heater was able to warm the office....at least until the propane ran out. I had bought a spare 40 lb cylinder, but a mistake in filling it had rendered it useless. It was only later that I learned that I could hook it up to the grill for a couple of hours to burn off the nitrogen still in the tank.



No comments: