Sunday, October 28, 2007

Another Second Level

It's been a couple of weeks since I added the second level to the NS route. Since then, the CCNS club had a show to do in Hickory, I had a Ops session to attend, and in between have been working on the center island which represents the Winston Salem Southbound.

As I laid the splines and started penciling in areas, it became painfully obvious that I did not have the room to do nearly what I wanted on the WSS sub. To fix it, I did two things: (1) added a second level to the center island (2) cut out some of the smaller LDEs I had planned to give proper space to the ones that were left.

Now, how do I get up and down from the second level? A helix. I had never built one, but there was really no other option. I saw on the Internet, a plan for using 1 x 4 lumber cut at angled to form a 16 sided circular object. My ability to work with a jigsaw was poor at best, so this seemed like a good option.

The helix was assembled with threaded rod, fender washers and nuts above and below to hold each level in place. Adding another level also meant I had to add more lights. Since the benchwork was already in place, I had to mount these one at a time. Quite time consuming, but well worth it to light the lower level. For these, I had to be careful to not go above or below the 1 x 4, so I tried handy boxes with a duplex outlet and a CFL in a plug in adapter. This also meant I now have an electrical outlet every 16". That should come in handy.





No comments: